Public Parks Are Instrumental in Saving the Environment.
Parks are complex elements of a city. They can serve scores of different uses, may be specialized in their function, or can simply provide visual appeal for residents. However they work, they act to define the shape and feel of a city and its neighborhoods. They also function as a conscious tool for revitalization.
- Spending at local and regional public parks contributes billions of dollars in economic activity and generates millions of jobs.
- Parks improve the local tax base and increase property values.
- Quality parks and recreation are cited as one of the top three reasons that business cite in relocation decisions in a number of studies.
- Parks and recreation generate money for the local economy.
Health and Environmental Benefits
- Parks and recreation facilities are the places that people go to get healthy and stay fit.
- According to studies by the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, creating, improving and promoting places to be physically active can improve individual and community health and result in a 25 percent increase of residents who exercise at least three times per week.
- There are significant correlations to reductions in stress, lowered blood pressure, and perceived physical health to the length of stay in visits to parks.
- Parks and protected public lands are proven to improve water quality, protect groundwater, prevent flooding, improve the quality of the air we breathe, provide vegetative buffers to development, produce habitat for wildlife, and provide a place for children and families to connect with nature and recreate outdoors together.
- Parks are a tangible reflection of the quality of life in a community. They provide identity for citizens and are a major factor in the perception of quality of life in a given community. Parks and recreation services are often cited as one of the most important factors in surveys of how liveable communities are.
- Parks provide gathering places for families and social groups, as well as for individuals of all ages and economic status, regardless of their ability to pay for access.
- In fact, the majority of the public views parks as an essential priority for government spending.
- Parks and recreation programs provide places for health and well-being that are accessible by persons of all ages and abilities, especially to those with disabilities.
- It had also been noted that community involvement in neighbourhood parks is associated with lower levels of crime and vandalism
- Access to parks and recreation opportunities has been strongly linked to reductions in crime and to reduced juvenile delinquency.
- Parks provide a sense of public pride and cohesion to every community.
However, despite being aware of these benefits, the presence of parks per capita has significantly reduced. With urban sprawl increasing i.e. the migration from rural to urban areas, temporary homes, shelters, and buildings have come up everywhere. Without proper planning, there is no space for green areas. This has ultimately put pressure on the natural resources of the area.
The only way out of this situation is if the government diligently allots special places for public parks in each locality. The importance of these green oases must not be underestimated. It lies in the benefit of the environment and us, as human beings, to ensure that green spaces are present in every community and locality.